Sunday, May 29, 2011

Drowning Out

We were riding together
to somewhere
I don't remember where
to some place
to a place you wanted to go
I'm sure
I was driving
I was always driving
Because you were always drinking
or
always going to be drinking
So
I was driving
You were riding
And we were headed somewhere

And I asked you
if I could listen to some music
You said you didn't care
I told you this was my favorite song

I didn't need your approval
I didn't expect you to sing along
All you had to do
was
acknowledge it
acknowledge me
sit quietly
and
listen

But
instead
you reached over
pushed the button
and turned it off

Turned me off

And you said
something
about
how you just couldn't stand
listening
to that shit
anymore

And
yet
you kept talking
and talking
and talking
and wondering
why I was being so quiet

I'm listening

Until
I reach over
and push the button
turn the music back on

I can't stand listening to your shit anymore

Why
couldn't you
just
let
me
sing?

And

We are still riding
somewhere

I'm still driving
I'm still singing
You're still talking
You're still drinking
We're still riding
And we're headed
straight
for nowhere

No comments: